Imagine yourself standing in a large grounds, wearing your nicest clothes, with the company of your friends including the ones you’ve just met, your favourite artist making you sway to his beats, and the cool evening breeze on your face! I remember feeling like this when I attended the sunburn festival and wishing I could attend many more such music festivals. Wondering if there are any more good events for us music lovers, I decided to search and curate a list for you guys too.
1. SunburnSunburn Festival is Asia’s largest 4-day Electronic Music festival will be coming back in February 2019 for its 12th Edition in Goa (23rd and 24th Feb have been announced as the Dates ) & Pune (dates not announced). The festival was first started in 2007 at Candolim beach introduced the concept of Electronic Dance Music to India now gone global with the some of the worlds best DJs to India like Armin van Buuren, Avicii, deadmau5 playing for the crowds. The lineup for 2018 AJJA, Angerfist, Dannic, Eats Everything, Mattn, Nucleya, Tom Swoon among others.
2. Sula Fest – NasikHeld in the month of February ( every year, Sula Vineyards, Nasik hosts Sula fest which is a two-day annual event. Sula fest is a mix of electronic music, Dubstep, Reggae. The combination of a healthy dose of wine, fashion & leisure often comes as a respite for concert-starved Mumbai folk. The line up for this event include performances by artists like Nucleya, Indian Ocean, The Raghu Dixit Project, Infected Mushroom and Bloc Party.
3. Mahindra Blues Festival – MumbaiMahindra Blues festival sees artists from all over the world converging and performing at Mehboob studio in Bandra, a posh suburb of Mumbai. Since its first edition in 2011, the festival has gained unmatched popularity becoming Asia’s largest and finest Blues phenomenon by pooling the world’s best Blues musicians for its two-day gala.
4. NH7 Weekender – Pune, Bangalore, Kolkata and DelhiThe Festival is an annual, multi-city music festival in India. Conceptualised, produced and organised by Only Much Louder (OML Entertainment), the event is one of the largest music festivals in India, with an annual attendance across the editions of over 100,000. The festival, held between October and December, travels to multiple cities, with the flagship event in Pune. Other cities that have hosted the Weekender include Noida, Bengaluru, Kolkata and Shillong.
5. Rang – New DelhiA festival synonymous with the colourful festival of Holi, Rang is a unique music fiesta that promises “The Ultimate Electronic Music Experience”.The date announced for this year is 21st March 2019. Not only is it a mirage of bursting colours and the best of International and Indian artists, but Rang also offers extensive activities and attractions such as a rain dance, games and mind-blowing visuals.
6. Kasauli Rhythm and Blues fest – Kasauli, Himachal PradeshThe quiet, but charming town of Kasauli, witnesses a musical concoction of Funk, Blues, Jazz, Rock, Folk Rock, Electro-Rock-Folk and Fusion in the month of every April. Organised by the Genesis Foundation and Jack Daniel’s, the proceeds of this fest goes towards helping underprivileged children suffering from severe health problems. The previous years’ line up included artists like Usha Uthup, Shilpa Rao, Leslie Lewis, Rabbi Shergill to the flavoursome Sonam Kalra and Kutle Khan Sufi Collective. The 2-day event will take place this year on 19th & 20th April 2019.
7. Shiva Squad Festival – Morpheus Valley Resort, ManaliThis three-day festival of adventure, music, healing and culture is held every September in an amazing resort located in one of the most beautiful valleys caressed by the supreme Himalayas and the Beas River. This one-of-a-kind fest brings together the finest artists from India and abroad in genres of Psy-Trance, Trance, Hi-Tech and Electronic Music to Rock, Jazz, Fusion, Classical, R&B and Folk Music. Making the Shiva Squad fest a psy-trance lover’s paradise. With some of the trippiest beats accompanied by dramatic synth arrangements, electronic music truly does come alive at the festival.
8. Vh1 SupersonicVh1 Supersonic (16th – 17th 2019, Pune) is a multi-genre music festival where you can experience the sickest beats played by the best international sensations like Marshmello, bonobo, Jaden Smith etc. Vh1 Supersonic is easily the festival you cannot miss out on.
9. Enchanted Valley – Aamby Valley, MaharashtraThis glamorous new music festival is a three-day carnival which is held at the breathtaking Aamby Valley City near the popular hill station of Lonavala. This one-of-a-kind music festival pays ode to the cutting-edge music genres like House, Techno, Trance, Drum and Bass and the likes. 2017’s artist line up includes – Armen van Burren, Marlo, snowflakes etc. the festival is often considered as an adventure in music because it offers an experience of adventure based activities like camping or in this case glamping off-road vehicle riding, bungee bouncing, zorbing, shake climbing, rappelling, 4x4 wilderness safari, zipline, hot air swelling and water games, for example, speed vessels/stream skis, kayaks, privateer ships, innate water crafts, barge pontoons, gliding volleyball and ballwith different genres of music all in one festival.
10. India Bike week – Vagator, GoaThough not entirely a music event, The India Bike Week held every January in Goa is a celebration of bikers around the country featuring music on three stages – live, acoustic and EDM. This unique celebratory event even hosted MMA fights as well as a host of other exciting events like training academies, track racing, stand-up comedy, a curated food festival. The previous artist line up includes Apache Indian Live, Colt Silvers (who will be touring India at the time!), DJ Savyo, Jack Jigg, Lagori, Major C, Mojojojo, G2 Live, DJ Smokey & Coyote Ugly.
11. The Great Indian October Fest – BangaloreOn the lines of internationally renowned German Oktoberfest which takes place in Munich between the months of September to October, The Great Indian October Fest is three days(18th – 20th October 2019)of fun which has something for everyone right from food stalls, a flea market and a craft centre, among others. This year the line up includes reggae ace Apache Indian, heartfelt Raghu Dixit Project with Nritarutya Bollywood sensation Benny Dayal and some more.
12. Sunsplash – GoaDates for the next year have already been updated on the website (10th, 11th & 12th January 2020). The festival has been extended by a day as compared to the previous years. Founded in 2016, Sunsplash is India’s largest reggae music festival. Previous years lineups include – Dub FX, Anthony B, Tomawok, Astro black, Cian Finn, cultivation, D2, Dj SA, Dreadsquad etc to name a few. The festival is focused on becoming a complete cultural experience and is proud to be the home of India’s first handcrafted reggae sound system,10,000 Lions.
References – viagogo / wikipedia / edmdroid/ tourism-of-india / travelogyindia / thrillophilia /jonesaroundtheworld /sulafest / mahindrablues /festivalsherpa/goasunsplash/ hellotravel / gosupersonic /aambyvalley / evc / stormfestivalindia